Skip to content

Course Advising

After your first year, you are required to take either Professional Responsibility or Legal Ethics in Corporate Practice, satisfy the Writing Requirement, and complete the professional skills requirement (See Regulation 1.4B 1.b. for this requirement). The way you design the remainder of your studies here at King Hall is largely left to your discretion.

With this in mind, deciding what courses to take in your second and third year can seem like a daunting task. However, there are a number of resources available to you when making decisions about your course selection.

  • Review Curriculum Clusters (courses arranged by subject matter) for 2L and 3L courses, including Faculty Recommendations.
  • Check the Course Advising FAQs for answers to questions students most frequently ask regarding course selection.
  • Seek out your professors--they are the best source of advice for making decisions about what courses to take and when. Some Professors will also post notices or memoranda sharing their advice with you. Please be sure to look at the bulletin boards outside their office for information.
  • Make an individual appointment with the Senior Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, to discuss your schedule. Please contact the Dean's Office Assistant to schedule an appointment.
  • Speak to second and third-year students who can share with you their experiences here at King Hall.
  • Speak to practitioners about what courses they felt were valuable during law school.
  • While not required, you should keep in mind the second and third year courses which cover subjects tested on the California Bar Examination. (Bar courses are listed below).
  • Review the Summary of Graduation Requirements for an overview of what you need to complete in your second and third years.
  • Review the Law School Regulations which govern your academic life here at King Hall.
  • Read through the Course Descriptions for prerequisite information and an overview of each courses coverage.
  • Talk to the Rena Contreras, Clinical and Externship Coordinator about clinical and externship opportunities.
  • If you are planning to do a Independent Study (Law 499), Advanced Writing Project (Law 419), or participate in an Interschool Competition (Law 413), you must sign up for these units by completing the appropriate form through the Registrar's Office by the fourth week of the semester. These units require a faculty supervisor's signature as well as the approval of the Senior Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.
  • Exam Information

Courses Tested on the California State Bar Exam

  • Business Associations
  • Constitutional Law II
  • Criminal Procedure
  • Evidence
  • Marital Property
  • Remedies
  • Trust, Wills and Estates
  • Professional Responsibility *

* Professional Responsibility is tested both on the California Bar examination and through the Multi State Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE). The MPRE can be taken during your second or third year. The law school's Professional Responsibility course requirement can be satisfied by taking Professional Responsibility (LAW 258) or Legal Ethics in Corporate Practice (LAW 258A).

Professional Skills Courses

Courses which satisfy the Professional Skills requirement will include opportunities for performance of the skill(s) being taught, direct faculty supervision of each student’s performance, and faculty feedback, in addition to classroom instruction.  Courses which satisfy the Professional Skills Requirement for graduation are noted on the course list with a symbol, and also indicated in the course description. For a list of Professional Skills courses, please visit the Course Descriptions page, and sort by clicking the “Professional Skills” sort option.

Moot Court, Trial Competitions, Clinics, Externships and Other Law 400 unit courses

To enroll in clinics, externships, Moot Court competitions and all other Law 400-unit courses, you need to complete the necessary applications. The Registrar's Office will enroll you into these classes once the applications have been completed. Applications for LAW 413, 419/419A and 499/499A are available at this page. These applications should be completed within the first 4 weeks of the semester.

  • To enroll in competitions, complete the Application for Law 413 – Competitions and take the completed application to the Registrar's Office.
  • To enroll in an independent study project (Law 419 – writing requirement or Law 499 – independent study), complete the Application for 419/499.
  • The Registrar's Office will enroll you in clinics and externships after you have been accepted into the clinic, using the official enrollment lists provided to the Registrar's Office by the clinic and externship supervisors.

Order of the Coif

To qualify for the Order of the Coif, a law student honor society,

  1. your GPA must place you in the top 10% of your class, and
  2. 75% of your units must be taken in letter-graded courses.

Certificate Programs

The Law School offers four certificate programs that allow a student's specialization to be recognized upon graduation. View the certificate programs.

Class Attendance

The instructor has the authority to refuse permission for you to take the final examination if you fail to attend class regularly.

Final Examination Schedule

For more information regarding final exams, please see the Exam Information Page. A link to the exam schedule is also available there.


Please note that, under Academic Regulation 3.5B, you must complete the course work required to remove an Incomplete within the time specified by the instructor, but in no event later than the last day of the second succeeding semester in which you are in residence at the school. Thus, if you have an incomplete from fall term, you must complete in no later than the end of the following fall term. If the course work is not completed, the Incomplete converts to an "F." Incomplete grades are given in paper courses only. If there is an final examination in the course, you are not permitted to take an incomplete. To request an incomplete grade from you professor, you need to complete a Petition for Incomplete Grade , have your professor sign the form and return the completed form to the Registrar's Office. For more information about Incomplete Grades, review the information posted here.