Since 1992, this intensive program has provided an ideal introduction to and review of English and legal analysis as used by legal professionals in the United States. Interactive and supporting, English for Legal Professionals provides excellent preparation for legal professionals, or law students who want to improve their legal English and legal analysis or who are preparing to enroll in an LL.M. program.
English for Legal Professionals consists of approximately 30 hours of activities (20 hours of instruction plus 10 hours of outside practice) that will challenge you to improve your skills.
- Develop reading, writing and legal analysis skills for professional and academic settings
- Learn and practice legal vocabulary and grammar
- Practice reading and briefing legal cases
- Analyze case hypotheticals and solve legal problems
- Write a legal memo, client letter and legal message exam
- Present legal oral arguments
- Create a group project
- Engage in group work with other participants from around the world
- Improve your legal reading, writing, vocabulary and analysis skills
- Receive valuable individual attention during the course
- Meet and interact with classmates from around the world
* Topics and Outcomes subject to minor revision.
Learn from Roberta Ward, JD, lecturer, former administrative judge, experienced practicing lawyer, and English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher.
Designed for Professionals Like You
English for Legal Professionals is designed for intermediate to advanced level English speakers interested in improving their English language skills for success in legal-oriented careers. Participants include practicing attorneys, judges, pre-LL.M. students, business professionals, and those preparing for the Orientation in U.S.A. Law program.
Preparation for LL.M. and/or Orientation in U.S.A. Law
The UC Davis LL.M. program is taught entirely in English. Therefore, the English for Legal Professionals program is ideal preparation for those who wish to improve their English language skills before beginning the LL.M. at the UC Davis School of Law or elsewhere.
Dates, Formats and Tuitions
June 27 - July 8, 2022
The School of Law plans to offer the ELP program on-site at the University of California, Davis. Students who are unable to join on-site will also have the option to attend classes online in real time (simultaneously) or by recordings.
Online Platforms (for students attending online)
Zoom and the UC Davis learning management system
- Tuition: U.S. $2,115*
- Application fee: U.S. $150* (if you apply to multiple programs, the application fee is only due once)
*Tuition and fees are subject to change.
Certificates and Credits
All participants will receive a certificate of completion if they attend class regularly.
Deadline to Apply
We strongly recommend enrolling by June 15 or earlier to ensure adequate time for the local U.S. embassy in your country to process the necessary visa for entering the U.S. We have been informed by past participants that U.S. embassies in some countries can take from four to six weeks to process non-immigrant visas (students, business or tourist).