The King Hall Legal Foundation (KHLF) is an independent, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization operated and managed by King Hall students. KHLF will award a limited number of summer public service fellowships to currently enrolled first and second year students to undertake public service legal work that serves underprivileged and underrepresented populations. KHLF does not provide fellowships for prosecutorial work.
To be eligible for the KHLF Fellowships, candidates must:
- join KHLF as a member;
- be a 1L or 2L student at King Hall;
- volunteer ten hours of solicitation work for the KHLF auction;
- volunteer five hours at the KHLF auction itself;
- and secure an offer to work for an eligible non-profit organization or government agency. Prosecutorial work is not eligible for KHLF funding.
Fellowship Award Amount
The amount of each KHLF Summer Fellowship award will be determined based on the availability of funding. In past years, KHLF has been able to award as much as $4,000 to students who did not receive other fellowships, and as much as $2,000 for those who did. KHLF grant recipients must disclose to KHLF the sources and amounts of all other summer funding. This includes an amount received in any form from their organization, including but not limited to, stipends, transportation, and other expenses. This also includes any outside funding, including but not limited to grants and scholarships. Grant recipients may not receive more than $10,000 of total funding from all sources for the summer (including the KHLF summer grant). Any amount above this cap must be refunded to KHLF accordingly. KHLF may also fund part‐time public interest legal work on a pro‐rated basis.
1L and 2Ls can apply for all three fellowship opportunities through a single application. Application materials will be submitted through Symplicity, February 9 through April 1, 2022.
To apply, log into your Symplicity account, upload all documents listed below as instructed. Then go to the OCI & Resume Collections section and use the Session pull down menu to find Spring 2022 (Public Service Summer Funding Application). Attach all the documents below and hit submit.
You must upload the following items:
- Completed application cover sheet (When uploading to Symplicty, select Cover Letter as the Document Type)
- Statement of Purpose (2 pages maximum, doubled-spaced, 12-point font). (When uploading to Symplicty, select Writing Sample as the Document Type) The statement should address the following questions:
- How have you demonstrated your commitment to pursuing a public service career?
- What work will you perform this summer?
- Why is this work important and who will it impact?
- A short paragraph (no more than 300 words) explaining your financial need and how you will use the funds to support your work this summer. This is separate from the Statement of Purpose but can be in the same document.
- Written documentation from the host organization or agency confirming that it will host your summer work (can be an email chain between you and host showing offer and acceptance). (When uploading to Symplicty, select Other Documents as the Document Type)