Dean's Merit Scholarship
The Dean's Merit Scholarship is awarded to an incoming student on a competitive basis for academic achievement (GPA, LSAT/GRE score) and other indicia of excellence, and, in some cases, financial need. All students receive automatic consideration for the Dean's Merit Scholarship upon admission. The Dean's Merit Scholarship is a three-year award and renews each academic year provided the student is in good academic standing as defined by Faculty Regulations and make satisfactory academic progress. No particular cumulative GPA or class rank is required to retain the Dean's Merit Scholarship.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Public Interest Scholarship
As part of the School of Law's commitment to the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., UC Davis established a $60,000 three-year scholarship awarded to the two members of each incoming class who best represent the spirit of Dr. King's efforts to achieve social and political justice for the disadvantaged through lawful and orderly means. The scholarship application is due on March 1st. Recipients of the MLK, Jr. Scholarship are still eligible for other merit scholarships and need-based grants.
Early Decision Select Scholars Program
We are pleased to offer four $60,000, three-year scholarships ($20,000 per year) exclusively to students applying through the Early Decision program. All Early Decision applicants will receive consideration for these awards; no separate application is necessary. Recipients will receive notification of their selection prior to the January deposit deadline specified in the offer of admission. Only recipients will receive a notification and notifications will come by email only.
UC Select Scholar
The UC Select Scholar will be chosen from early decision applicants who earned their bachelor’s degree from an undergraduate institution within the University of California system—UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, or UC Santa Cruz. The UC Select Scholar should exemplify the University of California’s mission to teach, complete cutting edge research, and provide public service to all Californians. Applicants’ involvement in their undergraduate institution, as well as their academic credentials, will be considered.
Innovation and Science Scholar
At the School of Law, our research engages the many dimensions of technoscientific innovation, from those that make it possible to those that constrain it. The Innovation and Science Scholar award will be granted to a student who received a degree in one of the STEM fields—science, technology, engineering, or mathematics, and who plans to pursue a career at the intersection of law and science.
Spirit of Service Scholar
As part of the School of Law's commitment to service and using the legal profession to preserve the dignity of all individuals, both at home and abroad, one student will receive the Spirit of Service scholarship. The recipient should demonstrate passion for achieving social and political justice for all the world’s citizens. Applicants’ demonstrated commitment to public interest and community involvement, as well as their leadership skills and potential for academic and professional achievement, will be considered.
Environmental Leadership Scholar
Our proximity to the state capital, as well as the exceptional work done in the California Environmental Law and Policy Center, make the School of Law a leader in environmental practice. The Environmental Leadership Scholar will be chosen from early decision applicants who have a background in environmental science and a passion to help translate environmental scholarship and academic initiatives into effective and timely public policy.
Outside Scholarships for Entering Law Students
We encourage all applicants to seek scholarship support from outside organizations. Please note that UC Davis does not endorse or participate in the selection of recipients of these outside awards and listed deadlines are subject to change at the organization's discretion.
- ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship (typically May 1 deadline, application available early March)
- BARBRI Law Preview "One Lawyer Can Change the World" Scholarship (June 1, 2021)
- California ChangeLawyers (formerly California Bar Foundation) Diversity Scholarship (Open to undocumented students)
- Iranian American Bar Association (IABA) Law Student Scholarship (typically mid-March deadline)
- Marshall-Motley Scholars Program - (February 16, 2021)
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF)
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) LMJ Scholarship (typically June ) (open to undocumented students)
- Pipeline to Practice Foundation Entering 1L Scholarship Program (typically May 1 )
- Rhode Island Foundation Marilynne Graboys Wool Scholarship (typically May 10)
- San Luis Obispo County Women Lawyers Association Scholarship (typically July 1)
- Sidney B. Williams, Jr. Scholar Program (for aspiring IP lawyers) (typically April 1)
- Undocumented students please visit Of Special Interest section for additional resources.