A Judicial Extern is a law student who conducts legal research and writing to support the work of a judge or of a court's central staff, which can include law clerks and staff attorneys. As an Extern, you will summarize and analyze cases and research legal questions; writing assignments may include bench memoranda, rulings, orders, and opinions.
Judicial Externships are excellent opportunities to develop your research and writing skills, and to gain exposure to various legal issues and advocacy styles.
If you are interested in applying to Summer Judicial Externships, please schedule an appointment with Natalie Butcher, Associate Director of Career Services and Judicial Clerkships by calling (530) 752-6574 or sending an email to email@example.com.
Judicial Clerkships differ in that they are post-graduate positions. To learn more about Clerkships, click here.
- Judicial Externship Guide
- Judicial Externship Presentation
- Court Opportunity Recruitment for All (CORA) - state court application portal for externships and clerkships
- Notes on Judicial Externship Hiring
- Mail Merge Instructions are located in the Symplicity Document Library or you can used the Mail Merge Wizard in Word
- Judicial Extern Application Information by California Court
- ABA Section of Litigation Judicial Intern Opportunity Program (deadline: January 12, 2024)
- ABA Business Law Section Diversity Clerkship Program (deadline: early January)
- Just the Beginning Foundation -- Summer Judicial Internship Diversity Project (deadline: 11:59 p.m. EST on January 14, 2024, or until capacity is reached.)
- Mexican American Bar Association (MABA) Judicial Externship Program (deadline: midnight PST on Sunday, December 31, 2023. Late applications will not be considered.)
- Additional opportunities are posted in 12Twenty.