Skip to content

Transfer & Visiting Students FAQs

Transfer Students

We accept transfer applications January 1 – June 30 for admission in the fall semester. There is no spring semester admission. There is no fee to apply for transfer or visiting student admission.

UC Davis School of Law does not have a separate application for early admission. However, we may admit those applicants who have completed at least one semester of a full-time, three-year law program and who demonstrate high academic performance. Those offered admission will be required to submit an initial seat deposit to hold their place in the first-year class and must finish the full first year in the top one-third of the class or we may reconsider the offer of admission. Those not offered early admission will receive consideration after receipt of grades for both the fall and spring semesters of the first year of studies.

The primary factor relied upon in admission is the first-year law school GPA. Applicants finishing in the top 25 percent of their class are most competitive for admission, applicants falling outside that range are considered and may be offered admission. Although law school GPA is the primary factor, it is not only the criteria and we may take into account other factors, including the rigor of the law school attended, LSAT, undergraduate GPA, and professional experience.

NOTE: Applicants with prior academic disqualification from a law school and/or applicants who attend a non-ABA-accredited law school are ineligible for transfer admission. Those who attend a non-ABA-accredited law school may apply as first-year students though they will not receive credit for courses taken at their prior, unaccredited law school.

The number of offers varies on an annual basis depending upon the number of seats available. Typical transfer classes range from 10-30 students from an applicant pool of 80-100 students.

The School of Law’s Faculty Regulations dictates that transfer students must have successfully completed at least one year of a three-year program at another ABA-accredited law school at the time of transfer matriculation. For purposes of admission, an applicant should have completed at least 30 semester units, although applicants may submit an application for admission for early admission consideration if they have completed at least one semester of studies and will complete the first year by the time of matriculation. Generally, UC Davis School of Law will award up to 31 semester units earned at the prior law school.

Transfer students are eligible for need-based gift aid (grants), subject to fund availability. Applicants are encouraged to complete the FAFSA prior to receiving a decision to ensure receipt of gift aid information as soon after admission as possible. Limited merit-based gift aid may be available to transfer admits who demonstrate high academic achievement. Gift aid information for all transfer admits, regardless of the time of admission, will not be available until after April 15.

No, students with a LL.M. from another ABA-accredited law school are not eligible for admission as a transfer student; however, they may apply to the J.D. program as a first-year student. None of the credits from the prior LL.M. program will apply to the student’s J.D. requirements here.

Visiting Students

Yes, we accept visiting student applications for the Fall and Spring semesters. There are no summer classes.

The visiting application period for Spring semester admission is October 1 – December 15 of the year immediately before the year of desired admission. The application period for Fall semester admission is April 15 – July 15.

We admit visiting students as space permits.

No, only students in good standing at an ABA-accredited law school may attend as a visiting student.

No, visiting students are ineligible for clinics, externships, and journal membership.

While enrolled here, visiting students pay tuition and fees to UC Davis School of Law and must apply for financial aid and loans through the law school that will confer their Juris Doctor degree.