The Richard Linn American Inn of Court is proud to offer the Mark T. Banner Scholarship. This scholarship is part of The Richard Linn American Inn of Court\'s commitment to fostering the development of intellectual property lawyers of high ethics, civility and professionalism, and especially those from diverse backgrounds.
Law students who have entered into a JD program at an ABA-accredited law school in the United States and who will continue in that program through at least the Fall semester are eligible to apply for the Mark T. Banner Scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Mark T. Banner Scholarship review board based on the following criteria:
- Commitment to the pursuit of a career in IP law. An ability to demonstrate commitment to the pursuit of a career in intellectual property law is an essential requirement.
- Commitment, qualities and actions toward ethics, civility and professionalism.
- Academic merit (undergraduate, graduate and law school).
- Written and oral communication skills determined in part through a telephone interview for finalists.
- Leadership qualities and community involvement.
- Member of a historically underrepresented group in IP law (including race, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation and disability). The applicant should discuss how diversity has impacted his or her pursuit of a career in IP law and how the applicant has faced and overcome the challenges associated therewith. Diversity is considered, but is one element among several in the award decision.
The winner will be notified by April and the award will be announced at the Linn Inn of Court\'s annual dinner in the summer.
Submit the following documents for consideration:
- Completed Mark T. Banner Scholarship Application Form (available online)
- Academic transcripts (law school, undergraduate/graduate school)
- Three-page statement describing (a) how ethics, civility and professionalism have been a focus of the candidate; (b) how diversity has impacted the candidate; and (c) the candidate\'s commitment to the pursuit of a career in IP law
- Contact information for three references