Skip to content

Tuition, Expenses and Visa Information


Tuition and Fees

For the 2018-19 academic year, tuition and fees are were $50,686.* All students must have valid health insurance and are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) at an additional annual cost of $4,350*. The health care coverage may be waived with proof of comparable health care coverage.

Fee payment is due in the Cashier's Office, Dutton Hall, by 4:00 p.m. on August 10 for fall semester and December 10 for spring semester. You are responsible for paying your account balance by the deadline. You will not receive a paper bill.

You can send your payment via wire transfer, a check in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank account, or an international money order in U.S. dollars. Cash is not accepted. For a bank wire transfer, please refer to the UC Davis bank routing information provided in the LL.M. registration materials. Please make sure that your bank sends the full amount due plus an amount sufficient to cover any bank wire transfer fee.


UC Davis Law has a limited number of fellowships available to highly qualified LL.M. students. All applicants are considered for fellowship funding; there is no separate application process for scholarships. Students will be notified about any fellowship offer as part of their letter of acceptance.

For financial assistance or financial aid, you may wish to contact international education funding groups, such as the Institute of International Education, which administers Fulbright Scholarships. You can also inquire about travel grants and other fellowship opportunities from the United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country, as well as private businesses or religious organizations.

Here are some helpful links to organizations:

If you are a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen, you may qualify for FAFSA (Federal Student Aid). Please contact our office at if you are a permanent restident or U.S. citizenand are planning to apply for FAFSA.

Health Insurance


All students must have valid health insurance and are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) at an annual cost of approximately $4,350*. Students who have comparable insurance can apply for a SHIP waiver that will reduce the total cost of attendance by $4,350*. For more information on the SHIP waiver, please visit the Student Health and Counseling Services website.

The SHIP insurance doesn't cover student's dependents (which are usually family members). Students must purchase separate health insurance for their dependents. UC Davis offers separate insurance packages. Please consult with the LL.M. Admissions Office at if you need more information about purchasing insurance for your dependents.

Estimated Expenses

To help you with your plans and decisions, we have estimated the costs for the LL.M. program. Every student is expected to have sufficient funds to cover their expenses.

These estimated costs include University tuition and fees and the estimated costs of housing, food and incidentals for an unmarried student with no dependents in Davis. They do not include the cost of transportation to and from the United States.


Tuition: $50,686*


Health Insurance (if applicable): $4,350*

Books and Supplies: $1,200


Housing, food, incidentals, personal, transportation: approximately $1,500-$1,800 per month

Total estimated for 10 months: $15,000-$18,000.

*All fees are subject to the control of the UC Regents and California Legislature and may change without notice. Tuition and fees are posted on the Office of Budget & Institutional Analysis website.


Housing within the on-campus apartments is available to enrolled students and their families. If you wish to live on campus, please visit the On-Campus Housing website. On campus housing is a popular option among students. For this reason, it is very important that you file your housing application by the specified dates in order to ensure a place for you and your family. Campus housing might not be available during the Summer months. Please note that for a healthier community and cleaner environment, UC Davis became smoke and tobacco free effective January 2, 2014. Smoking is not allowed in campus buildings, which includes housing rental units and parking lots.

Many students enrolled at UC Davis live outside of university housing. For general information about costs and accommodation options, please contact the LL.M. Admissions Office at

Immigration and Visa Information

international-center-students.PNGAfter being admitted to our LL.M. program, you will receive detailed information about the visa application process. If you are a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen you will not need a visa to enter the U.S. Please read below for an overview of what to expect when applying for an F-1/J-1 visa.

F-1 is the most common visa status for international students in the United States and best fits a student's situation. However, students who are government sponsored or who are on exchange programs may be eligible for the J-1 student status. Please contact our office if you have questions about which status is appropriate for you.

F-1/J-1 Attainment Process

Once you have been admitted to your program, we will send you the I-20/DS-2019 Request Form. You must complete this form and return it with evidence of financial support (personal/family funding or sponsorship) dated within the last 90 days and a photocopy or scan of your valid passport page. Please note that the sources of funding you provide must be liquid; that is, the funds must be immediately available if needed. We cannot accept credit lines, tax returns, income statements, etc. as a source of funding.

Once you have provided the completed I-20 or DS-2019 Request Form and the appropriate supplementary documents (passport copy or scan, and evidence of financial support), you will receive the proper certificate of eligibility (the I-20 or the DS-2019) for the F-1 or J-1 visa. It will take approximately 3-5 days to create your immigration document, and we will send it to you via express courier service.

Once you have received the I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to acquire the F-1 or J-1 visa itself at a U.S. consulate. It is best to apply for a visa at a consular office having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

You will need the following to support your application for the F-1 or J-1 visa:

  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. You and the UC Davis school official must sign the I-20 or DS-2019 form.
  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. Visit the Department of State website to learn more about the DS-160 online process.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless you qualify for one or more exemptions according to the information posted on this U.S. Customs list. 
  • One (1) 2 inch x 2 inch photograph.
  • A fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee. Review country-specific instructions on the U.S. Embassy/Consulate website. Information on the Visa reciprocity fee (if applicable) is available here.
  • The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt. Once you have received your I-20 or DS-2019, this fee can be paid online here. Please make sure to pay the SEVIS (I-901) fee at least three days BEFORE your visa appointment
  • Financial evidence that shows you or your sponsor has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study.

Typically, a visa can be issued no more than 120 days before the reporting date listed on Form I-20 or DS-2019. However, your application for the F-1 or J-1 visa can be submitted more than 120 days before the start date noted on the I-20/DS-2019 in order to accommodate lengthy processing times.

You may wish to refer to the NAFSA web page, which provides tips on what to do and expect during your visa interview.

If you are a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen you will not need a visa to enter the U.S.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Our LL.M. students may qualify to obtain temporary employment authorization. For an F-1 student, this is known as Optional Practical Training (OPT). For a J-1 student, it is referred to as Academic Training (AT). Both provide eligible international students with employment experience to complement their academic programs in the United States. F-1 holders are eligible for 12 months of OPT while J-1 holders can engage in AT as long as the total amount of training does not exceed the time spent in the LL.M. program. Students may apply for these benefits no sooner than 90 days prior t the end of their program. Detailed information regarding the application process will be distributed at our weekly meetings and workshops during the year.

Cancellations, Withdrawals and Planned Educational Leave (PELP) Return of Title IV Funds and Refund Policies

The Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) allows any continuing registered student-undergraduate or graduate-to temporarily suspend academic work at UC Davis.

Law students who wish to withdraw from school or apply for Planned Educational Leave must obtain official approval from the Dean. For students who paid fees and cancel, withdraw, or PELP with official approval from the Dean before the end of any semester, fees are refunded according to UC Davis campus-wide refund policies.

Contact the LL.M. Admissions Office at for more information about any of the above programs and services.