English for Legal Professionals
Since 1992, this intensive program has provided an ideal introduction to and review of English and legal analysis as used by legal professionals in the United. States. Interactive and supporting, English for Legal Professionals provides excellent preparation for legal professionals, or law students who want to improve their legal English and legal analysis or who are preparing to enroll in an LL.M. program.
English for Legal Professionals consists of approximately 30 hours of activities (20 hours of online instruction plus 10 hours of outside practice) that will challenge you to improve your skills.
- Develop reading, writing and legal analysis skills for professional and academic settings
- Learn and practice legal vocabulary and grammar
- Practice reading and briefing legal cases
- Analyze case hypotheticals and solve legal problems
- Write a legal memo, client letter and legal message exam
- Present legal oral arguments
- Create a group project
- Engage in group work with other participants from around the world
- Impove your legal reading, writing, vocabulary and analysis skills
- Receive valuable individual attention during the course
- Meet and interact with classmates from around the world
*Topics and Outcomes subject to minor revision.
Learn from Roberta Ward, JD, former administrative judge, experienced practicing lawyer, and English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher
Designed for Professionals Like You
English for Legal Professionals is designed for intermediate to advanced level English speakers interested in improving their English language skills for success in legal-oriented careers. Participants include practicing attorneys, judges, pre-LL.M. students, business professionals, and those preparing for the Orientation in U.S.A. Law program.
Preparation for LL.M. and/or Orientation in U.S.A. Law
The UC Davis LL.M. program is taught entirely in English. Therefore, the English for Legal Professionals program is ideal preparation for those who wish to improve their English language skills before beginning the LL.M. at the UC Davis School of Law or elsewhere.
Dates, Formats and Tuitions
June 26 - July 9, 2022
Program is two weeks of Monday-Friday real-time sessions 5-7 p.m. Pacific
(Or, at your convenience, through recorded class sessions each day)
Note to incoming UC Davis LL.M. Students: Our office will contact you with additional information about arrival dates and English for Legal Professionals participation options.
Zoom and the UC Davis learning management system
Tuition: U.S. $2,115*
*Tuition and fees are subject to change.
WhenJune 26 - July 9, 2022
Certificates and Credits
All participants will receive a certificate of completion if they attend class regularly.
Deadline to Apply
Apply by the first day of class.