Skip to content

International Student Information

Visa Information for Participants Coming to the United States

U.S. embassies and consular offices in countries around the world issue business or tourist (B-1/B-2), student visas (F-1, F-2) or student/scholar visas (J-1, J-2). The type of visa you will apply for depends on the primary purpose of your visit (summer program, graduate program, exchange or visiting scholar) upon entry to the United States.

For the summer programs, an I-20 (or DS-2019) request form will be provided to all enrolled participants. You may also download or request a current copy of the International Law Programs Information Handbook which has detailed information about how to applyfor visas for our summer programs. An I-20 (or DS-2019) will only be issued to the participant after we have received (1) the completed summer law enrollment application and fee, (2) the I-20 (or DS-2019) request form, (3) financial documentation dated within the last 90 days and showing proof of funding while in the U.S, and (4) a copy of your valid passport.

For the graduate programs (LL.M. and Summer International Commercial Law LL.M.), an I-20 (or DS-2019) form will be provided to students after they are admitted to the program. The admissions officer will send the information and forms to admitted students. UC Davis LL.M. students who also attend one of the summer programs prior to enrolling in the LL.M. courses will be issued an I-20 (or DS-2019) that includes the dates for both the summer program(s) and the LL.M. program.

For visiting scholars, the type of visa may vary. Please contact our office at to determine the appropriate visa for your needs.

Helpful Websites:

Visa Information for Students Participating in the UC Davis School of Law J.D. Exchange Program

The International Law Programs staff provide complete administrative support for both inbound and outbound J.D. Exchange students. Visa requirements vary by country and are subject to change. Students must be selected for the program, and our staff will contact selected students directly.