Per federal regulations, any funding provided to a student for costs above the established Cost of Attendance (COA) must be a result of special circumstance. The fact that your housing/utilities cost more, in itself, is not a special circumstance. To review this type of request, our office will need a written explanation why the expense is greater than the standard budget and the educational necessity for the additional expense (in other words your special circumstances).
Some examples of special circumstances are:
- Need for 2 bedroom because you have dependents that spend vacations with you
- Loss of roommate after signing of lease/unable to find replacement
- Need to live alone due to medical/health related reasons
*please note this is not an exhaustive list and documentation is needed to support the explanation
The Alternate Budget appeal is available to students that meet one of the scenarios outlined below:
- Single student with 1 or more children age 18 and under
- Married student with 1 or more children age 18 and under
- Married student with no children and a spouse not enrolled at least half-time in college or employed
The deadline to apply for the 2016-2017 Academic Year is generally the last day of classes in the Spring Semester. Please check Important Dates for the most current information.