The dean or appropriate faculty member of each law school, who has a direct knowledge of the student, will determine which IP student best exemplifies excellence in the field of intellectual property law and thereby qualifies as a candidate for the award. Each dean will have the flexibility to use any reasonable criteria, including, by way of example, any of the following:
- best grades in IP courses overall;
- outstanding achievement in specified IP courses;
- best IP paper written by a student;
- determination by a faculty consensus; or
- membership and activity in student IP organizations.