This is a merit-based fellowship. Fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled full time in an ABA-accredited law school and in good standing as a second-year law student at the time of application.
- A member of one of the underrepresented racial/ethnic groups set forth by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a member of the LGBTQ community or an individual with a disability.
- Not a recipient of a similar diversity award from another law firm for the same time period.
- Applicants must spend at least eight weeks with the firm (the Houston office will permit applicants to work six weeks with the firm). Splitting time between two offices may be permitted based upon approval of the two offices’ Hiring Partners.
- A U.S. citizen or otherwise authorized to work in the United States.
To be considered for the BakerHostetler Diversity Fellowship, candidates must provide the following documents:
- Completed application form.
- Current resume.
- Unofficial or official undergraduate and law school transcripts.
- Personal statement (see personal statement form for additional information).
- Two professional or academic references.
Applications will not be considered complete until all materials: application, resume, transcripts, personal statement and names of references, are received by BakerHostetler. A legal writing sample and letters of recommendation are optional but appreciated.
The Diversity Fellowship Program recognizes law school students who have demonstrated superior academic performance during college and law school, significant personal achievements and strong community involvement. Law school students will need to possess strong oral and written communication skills, demonstrated leadership achievements and a sincere interest in and commitment to joining BakerHostetler.
A selection panel consisting of the firm Chairman, Chair of the Diversity Committee and members of the Diversity Committee will evaluate and select all Diversity Fellows.