Students Launch King Hall Veterans Association
UC Davis School of Law students have launched the King Hall Veterans Association (KHVA), a new group for law students who are veterans of military service. Formed in order to help bridge the gap between veteran and non-veteran law students, host events that bring these groups together, and forge tighter connections within the community of King Hall veterans and their supporters, the KHVA is also involved in an initiative to start a Veteran Law Student Consortium with other law schools in Sacramento and the Bay Area.
Michael Van Derwood '14 and Tara Hutzol '14 started KHVA during the 2011-12 academic year, and are working with members to ramp up activities this year. During the fall semester, the KHVA hosted a "Bar Review" event and donated one-third of the net profit to a veterans' service organization. The rest of the funds will be used to host a networking dinner in which practicing attorneys from the Sacramento area will be invited to meet with KHVA members.
Board members of the new organization include Van Derwood, who is President, and Hutzol, who is Co-chair, as well as Mitchell Suliman '14, JAG Corps Chair, and Ronny Clausner '14, Civilian Liaison Chair. Students in the organization boast a diverse range of military experience, including:
- Christian Acevedo '13, U.S. Air Force (2006-Present): 1st Lieutenant, Public Affairs, JAG Select
- Justin Lee '15, U.S. Marine Corps (2003-2008): Sergeant, Aviation Electrician
- Jason Perez '14, U.S. Navy (2005-2010), Petty Officer 2nd class, Master at Arms
- Keith Sager '15, U.S. Army (2003-2006): Specialist, Infantryman
- Mitchell Suliman '14, U.S. Army (2008-Present): Captain, Military Intelligence Officer, Funded Legal Education Program Officer, JAG Corps
- Michael Van Derwood '14, U.S. Marine Corps (2005-2011): Captain, Logistics Officer
- John Paul Wallis '15, U.S. Marine Corps (Active Duty 2005-2009): Sergeant, Infantry Mortarman
- Claire White '15, U.S. Air Force (2006-2012): Staff Sergeant, Arabic Linguist
The KHVA has a web page, accessible via the link below, which includes information and resources for veterans and links for more information. Students interested in joining KVHA may contact Michael Van Derwood at email@example.com.
King Hall Veterans Association