King Hall Receives $100,000 from Sue R. Wilkins Estate
UC Davis School of Law has received $100,000 from the estate of Sue R. Wilkins, one of the Law School's most generous supporters. The donation was the latest in a succession of major gifts by Wilkins, who made contributions to King Hall in honor of her late husband to name the U.S. District Court Judge Phillip C. Wilkins & Sue Robinson Wilkins Moot Courtroom and to establish the Honorable Phillip C. Wilkins Memorial Scholarship.
Wilkins, who died March 10, 2010 of natural causes, was born Sue Robinson in Sacramento in 1915. She graduated from Sacramento Junior College in 1935 and married Phillip Wilkins in 1941. Wilkins practiced law and was active in Republican Party politics until 1969, when he was appointed as U. S. District Judge for the Eastern District of California by President Richard M. Nixon. He served as Chief Judge from 1979-1983, at which time he took senior status. Judge Wilkins was an active member of the King Hall community, frequently volunteering to judge moot court competitions. Following his death in 1998, Sue Wilkins made a gift to name the King Hall Moot Courtroom in honor of his commitment to the moot court program.
Sue Wilkins had an active life that included work for the Sacramento School District and California Legislature, volunteer service with the Mercy Guild and Crocker Art Museum, and hobbies such as horseback riding, travel, and growing award-winning orchids. She gave consistently and generously to UC Davis School of Law, benefitting generations of King Hall students and faculty. The planned gift of $100,000 will support the Honorable Phillip C. Wilkins Memorial Scholarship.