Skip to content

Tuition, Expenses, and Visa Information

The Summer LL.M. in International Commercial Law is not accepting applications for the summer 2019 cohort. Please contact our offices at for more information.

Tuition and Fees

  • Nonrefundable application fee: $105 U.S. Applicants / $125 International Applicants
  • Academic tuition and fees: Academic tuition is calculated on a per-unit basis. The Summer 2016 per unit fee was $805*.  Additional campus fees may be required. Housing and food costs for the six weeks are approximately $3,000-$5,000** U.S. depending on the participant’s choice of housing.

Housing and food costs for the six weeks in summer 2017 are approximately $3,000-5,000** depending on the participant’s choice of housing. Transportation costs vary. Some participants rent cars. However, most participants choose to ride bicycles as their main source of transportation due to the convenient and safe bike paths found throughout Davis. Standard bikes may be rented from the university at approximately $160.** If participants bring their children and require child care, full-time child care may cost $800-1,200** or more per month. In planning their budgets, students need to consider their own spending patterns and the possibility of unforeseen expenses. International students admitted to the university for the summer International Commercial Law LL.M. program will be required to confirm the availability of financial support sufficient to meet academic fees and expenses. Sponsored students (that is, those students not funded by private individuals) are required to provide a letter from the sponsoring agency or government detailing the terms of the scholarship award as verification that sufficient funding is available.

*All fees are subject to the control of the UC Regents and California Legislature and may change without notice. Tuition and fees are posted on the Office of Budget & Institutional Analysis website.**Estimated living expenses are approximations and may vary.

You can send your payment via wire transfer, a check in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank account, or an international money order in U.S. dollars. Cash is not accepted. For a bank wire transfer, please refer to the UC Davis bank routing information provided in the LL.M. registration materials. Please make sure that your bank sends the full amount due plus an amount sufficient to cover any bank wire transfer fee.

Financial Aid

The summer International Commercial Law LL.M. program is intended for working professionals. The program receives no financial support from the State of California. Fees reflect the full costs of administering the program. Generally, no federal or state financial assistance is available for international students through the program. Applicants are expected to have sufficient funds to cover their travel, living and educational expenses. Foreign students may wish to contact the U.S. embassy, consulate or Education Exchange Commission for information about Fulbright travel grants and other fellowship opportunities. In addition, students may want to explore private loans or other funding sources in their home countries.

Health Insurance

We require that all participants have or purchase medical insurance coverage while in the United States. A short-term medical plan is available to purchase during summer International Commercial Law LL.M. registration and covers participants and/or family members through the last day of the program.  It is very important for participants to carry insurance identification at all times while in the United States. Although it is very unlikely that a participant will experience a medical problem, please note that the United States and California governments, the University of California system and UC Davis Extension do not provide free medical services.

Dental insurance and optical insurance are not available. As a precaution, we strongly recommend that you bring an extra pair of eyeglasses (if worn) or the optometry prescription as well as any additional supplies of necessary medications or prescriptions in case of an emergency situation .Please note: Health insurance coverage requirements may be different for students enrolled in ICL courses scheduled for any quarter except summer. Please contact the LL.M. Admissions Office at for details.

Housing Options*

On-campus dormitory housing: Available for single participants or for those not accompanied by a spouse, children or significant others. Many participants prefer this option, because they enjoy the cultural exchange experienced by living, studying and socializing with program participants. Most meals are included and provided at the Dining Hall located near the dormitory. It is possible to request a packed lunch to take on field trips.

Furnished apartments: Some participants prefer the convenience of living in an apartment. A limited number of apartments are available for sublet in Davis. See housing options listed at right.

Off-campus hotels: Hotels are highly recommended for couples with or without small children and for single travelers requiring the convenience of a full service hotel and direct access to business communication amenities. Recommended hotels within walking distance of campus: Best Western University Lodge, Aggie Inn, Hallmark Inn and Econolodge.

For additional off-campus housing options, the following websites may be useful:

UC Davis Housing Information:

Associated Students of UC Davis Community Housing:

The Davis Enterprise: Click on “Classified,” then on “Rentals.”

Craigslist: (click on “housing” and search for Davis)

*Disclaimer: This information is provided as a matter of service. Although care was taken to provide correct information, there may be unintended errors, changes, deletions or variations in prices without notification. Users of this information communicate, contract and do business with individuals, companies and/or firms at their own risk. The Regents, officers, agents and employees of the University of California shall not be liable for any errors or omissions made in the compilation of printing this information.

Please note that for a healthier community and cleaner environment, UC Davis became smoke and tobacco free effective January 2, 2014. Smoking is not allowed in campus buildings, which includes housing rental units and parking lots.

Many students enrolled at UC Davis live outside of university housing. For general information about costs and accommodation options, please contact the Admissions Officer at

Immigration and Visa Information

After being admitted to our LL.M. program, you will receive detailed information about the visa application process. Please read below for an overview of what to expect when applying for an F-1/J-1 visa.

F-1 is the most common visa status for international students in the United States and best fits a student's situation. However, students who are government sponsored or who are on exchange programs may be eligible for the J-1 student status. Please contact our office if you have questions about which status is appropriate for you.

F-1/J-1 Attainment Process

Once you have been admitted to your program, we will send you the I-20/DS-2019 Request Form. You must complete this form and return it with evidence of financial support (personal/family funding or sponsorship) dated within the last 90 days and a photocopy or scan of your valid passport page. Please note that the sources of funding you provide must be liquid; that is, the funds must be immediately available if needed. We cannot accept credit lines, tax returns, income statements, etc. as a source of funding.

Once you have provided the completed I-20 or DS-2019 Request Form and the appropriate supplementary documents (passport copy or scan, and evidence of financial support), you will receive the proper certificate of eligibility (the I-20 or the DS-2019) for the F-1 or J-1 visa. It will take approximately 3-5 days to create your immigration document, and we will send it to you via express courier service.

Once you have received the I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to acquire the F-1 or J-1 visa itself at a U.S. consulate. It is best to apply for a visa at a consular office having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

You will need the following to support your application for the F-1 or J-1 visa:

  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. You and the UC Davis school official must sign the I-20 or DS-2019 form.
  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. Visit the Department of State website to learn more about the DS-160 online process:
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States. 
  • One (1) 2 inch x 2 inch photograph.
  • A fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee. Review country-specific instructions on the U.S. Embassy/Consulate website. Information on the Visa reciprocity fee (if applicable) is available here.
  • The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt. Once you have received your I-20 or DS-2019, this fee can be paid online here: Please make sure to pay the SEVIS (I-901) fee at least three days BEFORE your visa appointment
  • Financial evidence that shows you or your sponsor has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study.

Typically, a visa can be issued no more than 120 days before the reporting date listed on Form I-20 or DS-2019. However, your application for the F-1 or J-1 visa can be submitted more than 120 days before the start date noted on the I-20/DS-2019 in order to accommodate lengthy processing times.

You may wish to refer to the following webpage, which provides tips on what to do and expect during your visa interview:

Add/Drop a Course

Add requests must be received by July 7, 2017.  Drop requests must be received no later than the second teaching day of class.  Students may add/drop a class with permission of the Graduate Adviser.


A refund request will be approved, if the request is received no later than July 11, 2017.


Cancellation/Withdrawal is the formal and official process that all students must use to notify the university that they no longer with to continue their studies at UC Davis. Leaving the universeity during a quarter entails obtaining a withdrawal petition from the Office of the University Registrar, having it approved as directed, and filing it with the Office of the University Registrar. Failure to follow this procedure may result in an "F" grade for each course in which the student is enrolled. Details can be found at the Office of the Registrar website.

Filing Fee and PELP

ICL LL.M. students do not have access to Filing Fee and PELP (Planned Education Leave Program) statuses. Please contact LL.M. Admissions Officer Concha Romero at with any questions.

Concha Romero
LL.M. Admissions Officer
School of Law
University of California, Davis
400 Mrak Hall Drive
Davis, CA 95616
+1 (530) 752-6081