COVID-19 and Return to King Hall
Law School Status Summary as of Monday, September 13, 2021:
- Building Open
- Students: 24 hours with keycard (classroom access until 9:00 p.m. M-F)
- Faculty/Staff: 24 hours with keycard
- Public/Guests: Invited guests with green symptom survey complete only
- Daily Symptom Survey: Required for all
- Vaccines: Required for all (unless approved exemption)
- Face Coverings Indoors: Required for all
- Face Coverings Outdoors in Crowded Spaces: Required for Unvaccinated, Recommended for all
Campus Safety Guidelines
The UC Davis campus has guidelines in place to keep our community safe. For the most up-to-date information on health and safety requirements, please visit the following:
- UC Davis Public Health Policies & Requirements: https://campusready.ucdavis.edu/public-health-policies-requirements
- UC Davis Campus Ready website: https://campusready.ucdavis.edu/
All UC Davis students, staff and faculty must comply with the vaccination policy established by the UC Office of the President. Specifically:
- Log on to https://hem.ucdavis.edu to upload your vaccine information and related forms.
- Complete the Daily Symptom Survey and be prepared to show those results in order to enter campus buildings
- Monitor your symptoms, stay home if you are sick, and report positive cases.
- Unvaccinated people must be approved to be in campus buildings, must get tested on campus at least once every four days, and must wear face coverings indoors at all times and outdoors in crowded places.
King Hall-Specific Information
The King Hall community is a vibrant, thriving and supportive learning community. We look out for each other and take the health and safety of our community members very seriously. The following frequently asked questions provide guidance for current operations under COVID-19 protocols:
The leadership team at the law school has been working with campus and health officials since early 2020 to develop and implement health and safety protocols. For Fall 2021, these will include:
- In conjunction with campus officials:
- UCOP Vaccine Policy enforcement
- Contact tracing upon reporting of COVID-19 case in our community
- Enhanced cleaning of the King Hall building
- Upgraded and monitored air filtration systems
- King Hall closed to general public
- Employee time-off for and encouragement of regular COVID testing
- Increased support for students who must miss classes
- Faculty options for temporary remote instruction if needed
Overview: For Fall 2021, King Hall is returning to in-person instruction, except for a few classes that will be offered remotely. All those entering the building must complete the daily symptom survey and be fully vaccinated, unless an exemption has been granted. Please follow all signage in the building. Physical distancing is not required, except for those who are unvaccinated when eating/drinking. Masks must be worn indoors at all times.
Masks: As of August 3, 2021, Masks are required indoors for all people at all times. If a person is fully vaccinated, the only time a face covering can be removed indoors is when that person is alone in an office or in a designated office cubicle. Library carrels do not constitute a cubicle. Unvaccinated people must wear a face covering indoors at all times and outdoors in crowded spaces.
Capacity/Distancing: Classroom instruction will be at full capacity. Physical distancing is not required, except that if an unvaccinated employee is eating or drinking (and has therefore removed a face covering), that person must physically distance. This is also recommended for all unvaccinated people.
For more information please review the information here.
For questions about events at the law school, please contact Onell Berrios.
Beginning August 16, 2021, all community members must eat food and drink outside the law school building. Faculty and staff members may eat and drink in their individual offices, employee breakrooms, and the faculty lounge. We are seeking to increase outdoor seating capacity near King Hall. For now, we encourage the use of the arboretum and other designated areas on campus for eating and drinking.
Can I still store and prepare my food in King Hall?
Yes. You may store and prepare food in the regular designated areas. Students may use the student lounge microwaves, refrigerators, and kitchen area for food storage and preparation. Please wear a mask while preparing your food. Staff members may use Room 2050, which has a refrigerator, and faculty may use the faculty lounge, for storing, warming, and eating food.
What if I need water?
Drink it. We ask everyone to be patient and reasonable with the new King Hall eating and drinking policy. If you need water because your throat is dry, to take medication, or for some other health reason, please do so, while only removing your mask for as short a time as possible. For additional accommodations, contact Senior Assistant Dean Scivoletto (students) or Senior Assistant Dean Burns (staff).
Will King Hall events in classrooms have food?
Yes. Events may offer food. For now, however, food provided for events must be distributed in a location away from a classroom. For example, once an event is finished, guests could go to the courtyard, pick up a lunch, and eat outside.
This fall, UC Davis Law will once again bring you live, in-person events at King Hall. As we prepare, the well-being and safety of our guests is a top priority.
We are looking forward to hosting compelling speakers throughout 2021-22. To date, we will continue the UC Davis Law Racial Justice Speaker Series, present endowed lectures and host the UC Davis Law Review Symposium. We will have both in-person and remote events throughout the year.
Please keep the following in mind as you plan for attending events:
- To enter King Hall, you must complete the Daily Symptom Survey and receive an approval notice for that day. Invited guests must have a “green” approval status (not purple).
- Events are open to UC Davis Law faculty, students, staff and invited guests only.
- Face coverings are required inside the building. If you are unvaccinated, a face covering is also required in crowded outdoor spaces at King Hall. More information is available about campus face covering policies at the UC Davis Campus Ready site.
- Digital access via Zoom live-stream will be available as indicated for signature events for those who cannot join an in-person event.
UC Davis Law will continue to work with the campus to closely review public health recommendations and update our event guidelines as needed. We are following COVID-19 protocols to ensure a safe experience for all.
Please contact Events and Facility Manager Onell Berrios with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Circumstances surrounding health and safety policies can change very quickly and our information is evolving. For more information, please contact Senior Assistant Dean Brett Burns or Senior Assistant Dean Emily Scivoletto.