Skip to content

Cost of Attendance

Average Student Costs

The UC Davis School of Law Student Expense Budget covers the nine-month academic year and includes the following:

2015-2016 Law Student Expense Budget
Non-University Housing
Fees and Tuition1 $47,904
Student Health Insurance2 $3,954
Books and Supplies $1,025
Room, Board and Personal $15,030
Transportation $1,763
TOTAL $69,676

1 Nonresident fees and tuition are $57,155, which includes nonresident supplemental tuition of $12,245, and total cost of attendance for nonresidents is $78,927. The amounts shown here represent estimates for the 2015-2016 cost of attendance.  Actual tuition, fees and charges for 2015-2016 have yet to be finalized by The Regents of the University of California. Accordingly, final figures are subject to change and may differ from the amount shown. Please note that the 2015-2016 tuition and fees figure listed here may differ from the estimates posted on the Office of Budget & Institutional Analysis website. Students should use the above figures for planning purposes at this time.

2 All students must have valid health insurance and are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) at an annual cost of $3,954. Students who have comparable insurance can apply for a SHIP waiver that will reduce the cost of attendance by $3,954. For more information on the SHIP waiver, please visit the Student Health and Counseling Services website.  

Deferred Payment Plan

The Deferred Payment Plan (DPP) allows students to pay tuition in monthly installments. You may use the plan on a semester-per-semester basis or apply once in the Fall for the entire academic year.  To enroll in the DPP for Fall Semester 2015, visit beginning August 1.

Expected Student Contribution

All students are expected to contribute toward the cost of their education since they are the primary beneficiaries of that education. This "student contribution" (expected family contribution) is based on individual earnings and other resources such as savings and other assets.

Students may request a review of extraordinary circumstances not included on the original application for financial aid. Situations that can be reviewed include loss of employment or income, divorce or separation, or significant medical expenses. Report your extraordinary circumstances on the Need Access application in the Projected Income section. Be sure to include an explanation for the extraordinary circumstances in the Special Circumstances section. After you update Need Access, notify the Law Financial Aid Office by email.

Award Notification

UC Davis Law Financial Aid award information (with a valid SAR) will be available using My Awards beginning in mid-May. This target date is subject to change due to decisions in Federal, State, and University regulations, policies and procedures. The electronic Financial Aid Notice (My Awards) will explain the award decision and will contain detailed information about each component of the financial aid package and provide instructions for completion. Late applicants may possibly not receive award notifications until July or August. An offer of financial aid will be made only if admitted to the Law School.

Admitted students can view their online Financial Aid award information at

Reporting Additional Resources

Any income, scholarship, benefits or the addition of any assets such as savings or other investments which were not originally reported on the FAFSA must be reported to the Law Financial Aid Office immediately, in addition to any change in circumstances (i.e., marital status, number of dependents, etc.). Failure to update this information as it changes could result in a request for the repayment of any financial aid funds received.

International Students

To be eligible to receive need-based federal, state, or University funding you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, and you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Financial Aid is not available for students with F1 or F2 Student Visas, J1 or J2 Exchange Visitor Visas, or G Series Visas.

International students may also be eligible for alternative loans through a private lender. The Law Financial Aid Office recommends that you research available loan products to determine which one best meets your needs. For general information about Private Education Loans, click here. To apply for a private education loan, visit the University of California Preferred Private Lender List. (managed by ELMSelect)

PELP, Withdrawal, or Dismissal

Following enrollment, if you participate in the Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP), withdraw or are dismissed from UC Davis for any portion of the academic year, you may be billed for all or a portion of funds already disbursed. For more information visit the Satisfactory Academic Progress page.