The John Paul Stevens Public Interest Fellowships
In partnership with the John Paul Stevens Public Interest Fellowship Foundation, King Hall is pleased to announce that it will also award three John Paul Stevens Public Interest Fellowships to students who demonstrate commitment to public service and potential for excellence throughout their legal careers.
To be eligible for the John Paul Stevens Fellowship, candidates must:
- be eligible for a Summer Public Interest Fellowship;
- undertake a summer position that is otherwise unpaid, meaning that you do not receive financial compensation of any kind from the host organization; and
- receive one of the three highest application scores from the King Hall Summer Public Service Fellowship Selection Committee.
Fellowship Award Amount
The amount of each Stevens Fellowship will be $5,000. No subtraction will be made for money received from other sources to support the same summer work, but note that to be eligible for the Stevens Fellowships, your summer position must be unpaid, meaning that you cannot receive financial compensation of any kind from the host organization.
Alberta Johnson receives a Stevens Fellowship. She also gets a $1,000 summer fellowship from one of the law student associations she belongs to. Alberta’s Stevens Fellowship will be $5,000 and her total summer income will be $6,000.
Audie Norris receives a Stevens Fellowship. The host organization then offers to pay Audie a summer stipend of $6,000. Audie must decline the Stevens Fellowship because they are no longer eligible for it.
1L and 2Ls can apply for all three fellowship opportunities through a single application. To apply you must include all of the following into a single PDF saved as LAST NAME-FIRST NAME.pdf:
- Completed application cover sheet
- Statement of Purpose (2 pages maximum, doubled-spaced, 12-point font). The statement should address the following questions:
- What work will you perform this summer?
- Why is this work important and who will it impact?
- How have you demonstrated your commitment to pursuing a public service career?
- A short paragraph (no more than 300 words), separate from statement of purpose explaining your financial need and how you will use the funds to support your work this summer
- Written documentation from the host organization or agency confirming that it will host your summer work (can be an email chain between you and host showing offer and acceptance).
The application and all supporting documents should be combined into a single PDF saved as LAST NAME-FIRST NAME.pdf
Email application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "SUMMER FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION - [YOUR LAST NAME]." The application period for Summer 2022 will be announced in Spring.