- Does my application need to propose a new or novel project?
- No. You may apply to perform the same or similar work to that of an “ordinary” entry level attorney at the host organization.
- My proposed Partnership host site cannot contribute to my fellowship salary. Should I still apply?
- Yes. While the Selection Committee takes into account the host site’s level of investment in the Fellowship as an indicator of how much the host site cares about having the Fellow, this is a small part of the overall determination. Proposals where the host organization cannot contribute any amount toward the fellowship will be considered.
- If I get a Post-Bar Public Service Fellowship, when do I start work?
- If you are selected, you will begin work in the fall after you graduate. You and your host site should agree upon the specific date, but you will need the law school’s advance authorization if the start date will be earlier than August 1st or later than October 31.
- I graduated a year ago. Can I apply for the Fellowships?
- No. The Fellowships are only open to current third year students. This is true even if you are doing a judicial clerkship the year after you graduate.
- I graduate in the winter. May I apply for the Fellowships?
- Yes, but you must apply for the Fellowships cycle after you graduate.
- Who is on the Fellowship Selection Committee?
- The Fellowship Committee consists of three members. The Associate Director of Career Service for Public Interest & Public Sector is an ex officio member of the Committee, meaning that the Associate Director may be present at Committee meetings and may speak, but does not have a vote. In order to prevent candidates from “lobbying” Committee members, the members remain anonymous.
- How much will I earn as a fellow?
Partnership Fellows: The proposed budget for your fellowship must include a salary of at least $45,000 (any amount above $45,000 would need to come from the host organization). Partnership Fellows will also receive at $2,500 bar-study stipend. In some years, depending on the timing of the application, this stipend may be folded into the salary to be distributed after the bar.
Hosted: Fellowships with a campus organization will earn at least $48,000 for the year.
- What is the page limit for the Personal Statement?
- There is no page limit for the personal statement. Ideally you want your statement to be concise, but be sure you are telling a compelling story and responding the questions posed. Typically personal statements have been between 2 to 5 pages. Career Services counselors are available to review your personal statement prior to submission.