Tonkon Torp 1L Diversity Fellowship – Portland
Deadline: January 14, 2015
The fellowship provides the student selected with a position at Tonkon Torp as a summer associate during the summer immediately following the completion of his or her first year of law school. In addition, if the student returns to work at Tonkon Torp during the summer following his or her second year of law school, the student will receive a $7,500 academic scholarship. To qualify for the $7,500 academic scholarship, the student selected must return to Tonkon Torp for all or part of their second year summer if invited. The $7,500 will be paid following completion of the student's second summer with Tonkon Torp.
For a two-week period during the summer, the 1L Diversity Fellow will have an opportunity to work in the legal department of Portland General Electric Company, Oregon's largest electric utility and a client of Tonkon Torp. During this internship period, the 1L Diversity Fellow will get exposure to the day-to-day life of the in-house lawyers at a major utility, work on legal projects and attend meetings with lawyers and clients.
The Tonkon Torp LLP 1L Diversity Fellow will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- The individual must be a first-year law student in good standing for the degree of Juris Doctor at an ABA accredited law school.
- The individual must demonstrate a record of academic achievement that evidences great promise for a successful career during the remainder of law school and in the legal profession.
- The individual must contribute meaningfully to the diversity of the law school student body, and upon entering the legal profession, the legal community.
- The individual must demonstrate a commitment to practice law in Portland, Oregon following graduation from law school.
- While applicants need not disclose their financial circumstances, a demonstrated need for financial assistance may be taken into consideration.
Tonkon Torp LLP will select finalists for interviews in Portland. Travel expenses for finalists will be paid for by Tonkon Torp LLP.
Award: Summer associate position, $7,500 academic scholarship if return for 2L summer