National LGBT Bar Association Prudential Fellowship Program
Deadline: January 5 , 2015 by 5:00 p.m. EDT [2016 information not currently available]
The National LGBT Bar Association is pleased to announce a partnership with Prudential Financial, Inc. (Prudential) and Genova Burns LLC
(Genova Burns) to provide a fellowship opportunity to a highly-motivated law school student. Through this partnership, we will select a law school student to be the 2015 National LGBT Bar Association-Prudential Law Fellow.
The Fellow will be hired to the position of a 2L Summer Fellow at Genova Burns for the summer following the Fellow’s second year of law school in 2015, and upon satisfactory completion of the summer program, will be expected to begin work at Genova Burns on a date to be determined by the firm.
Typically, Genova Burns hires a number of second-year law students to work as Summer Associates for a ten-week period lasting from early June to mid-August. The firm recruits entry level Associates, in part, through this Summer Associate program, so Summer Associates are expected to meet or show the potential to meet the hiring standards the firm applies when considering attorneys for full-time positions.
- Minimum law school GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- A 2L law student at the time of application, and will be completing his/her second year of a JD program at an ABA-accredited law school by May 2015.
- Possess financial or business-related experience or demonstrated interest.
- Excellent oral and written communication abilities.
- Strong conceptual thinking and legal analytical skills; interpersonal and social skills; organizational, time management and project management skills.
- Ability to work and think independently.
- Forward thinking ability with a risk management perspective.
- Strong ethics and moral code.
- Ability to efficiently multitask, manage priorities and meet deadlines; effectively interact with individuals at all levels; make accurate and time sensitive decisions.
- Assess a range of situations and identify appropriate response and attention
- Prior work experience in the financial services or insurance industry is a plus.
- Member of the National LGBT Bar Association.
How to Apply:
To apply, you must submit a cover letter (which should include a personal statement as set forth below), resume, list of three references, writing sample and transcript to email@example.com.
The cover letter should also include a personal statement that highlights one of the following topics that have not been captured in the candidate’s resume:
1) a discussion of how diversity and inclusion in the workplace or in the academic environment has had a personal impact;
2) an example of a time when the candidate faced a challenging project or assignment (work-related, community service, school-related, etc.) that required working with others in a team (including the issues, resolutions and overall result); or
3) a discussion of how participation in the National LGBT Bar Association-Prudential Fellowship Program will benefit and enhance the candidate’s experience at Genova Burns.
Please write “Prudential Fellowship” in the subject line of all correspondence. All materials must be received by 5:00 p.m. EDT on January 5, 2015. Finalists must be available to participate in phone interviews in January 2015. Selected candidates will be invited for in-person interviews in Newark, NJ in early February 2015, with offers to be made shortly thereafter.
Award: Paid summer fellowship position