Meyers Nave Diversity Fellowship Program
Application Period: December 1, 2018, and January 4, 2019 at 12:00 Noon (PST)
Deadline: January 4, 2019 at 12:00 Noon (PST)
- Paid, full-time, 10-week Fellow position at Meyers Nave during the summer after the first year of law school with possible extension to second year summer
- Annual tuition assistance of $5,000 following each summer completed with Meyers Nave
- Mentoring during law school from Meyers Nave attorneys, focusing on academic work and the practice and business of law
- Potential Associate position at Meyers Nave after law school
- Possess an interest in joining Meyers Nave
- First-year law student, in good standing, at an ABA accredited law school
- Demonstrated commitment to community service and/or civic leadership
- Member of an underrepresented group set forth by the EEOC, member of the LGBTQ community, or member of a group traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession, including law students of color, women law students or others of diverse backgrounds
- Financial need is not required, yet it will be strongly considered along with other factors.
- Academic achievements and strong writing skills
- Applicants must spend 10 weeks during the summer working full time in Meyers Nave’s Oakland office.
- A U.S. citizen or otherwise authorized to work in the United States
- Employees and attorneys of Meyers Nave, current clients of Meyers Nave, vendors whose services are utilized by Meyers Nave, and members of the families of such person(s) are requested not to apply for the Fellowship Program.
Required Application Information and Documentation
- Current resume
- Copy of complete undergraduate transcript
- Copy of grades from the first semester of law school (if grades are not available at the time of application, please state so and email first semester law grades as soon as they are available)
- Legal writing sample, un-edited by a third party
- Three references, two of whom are qualified to comment on your law school or undergraduate work, and one who is a personal reference
- One- to three-page personal statement in narrative form including the following information:
- Why do you want to become an attorney?
- Why do you want to be a Meyers Nave Diversity Fellow?
- What are your eligibility qualifications based on the required criteria?
- Significant academic achievements, personal accomplishments and life experiences that have shaped your values and professional goals. Information may include, but is not limited to, experiences and reflections based on:
- First generation immigrant or child of immigrants
- English as a second language
- First in family to go to college
- Child of a single parent or raised by grandparents
- Socioeconomically disadvantage background
- Physical disability
- Supporting self/family through college
- Working full time/part time while in college, law school
- Race, gender, ethnicity, and/or LGBTQ
Finalists will be notified via email by late January. Interviews will be in-person, by phone and/or video.
Award: Annual tuition assistance of $5,000 following each summer completed with Meyers Nave.