Goodwin Procter & MassMutual / Goodwin 1L Diversity Fellowship
Deadline: February 19, 2016
Diversity and inclusion are core values at Goodwin Procter. We understand that truly great things happen when we work together, honor differences and celebrate unique perspectives. We are committed to increasing diversity and inclusion at Goodwin and in the greater legal community. To show our commitment, we have established the Goodwin Procter 1L Diversity Fellowships.
In addition, Goodwin has partnered with our client Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (the largest corporation domiciled in Massachusetts) to provide an additional fellowship award, the MassMutual/Goodwin 1L Diversity Fellowship. MassMutual is also strongly committed to promoting diversity in our profession and in its business. This Fellowship (like the others) will provide a first year law student with a financial award to help cover expenses from working in a public interest law position during the summer after the first year of law school.
For all Fellowships, we welcome applications from any first year law student who self-identifies as a member of a historically underrepresented group in the legal profession (including racially and ethnically diverse and LGBT students). To be eligible for a Fellowship, an applicant must be a full-time, currently-enrolled first year student of color who is pursuing a Juris Doctor degree at an ABA-accredited law school. To be awarded a Fellowship, candidates may not be the recipient of a similar scholarship award from another law firm for the summer. Students who are immediate family members of a Goodwin Procter (or MassMutual, as applicable) attorney or employee, and/or are a Goodwin Procter client or employee of a Goodwin Procter client, are not eligible to receive any of the Fellowship awards.
Selected Fellows will also receive:
- A guaranteed callback interview with the Goodwin Procter office of their choice during the interview season after the student’s first year of law school, to allow the student to be considered for a position in our Summer Associate Program during the summer after the student’s second year of law school.
- The opportunity to participate in some of Goodwin Procter’s Summer Associate Program events for 2Ls while working in their public interest law position during their first year summer;
- Attorney advisors to help Fellows succeed in their public interest law position, and to help introduce them to Goodwin Procter.
- In addition to the benefits described above, the MassMutual/Goodwin Fellow will be provided with opportunities for meaningful interaction with members of MassMutual’s Legal Department as a way to learn about their business and gain a greater understanding of an in-house legal department.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, an applicant will need to demonstrate:
- Exceptional academic performance
- Outstanding leadership abilities and involvement in minority student organizations
- A commitment to community service
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Other special achievements and honors
A candidate interested in applying for a Fellowship must complete the online application on our website (www.goodwinprocter.com), as well as include a resume and a copy of current law school transcript.
Award: Financial award to help cover expenses from working in a public interest law position during the summer after the first year of law school.