Davis Wright Tremaine – 1L Diversity Scholarship Program
Application Period: December 1, 2016 through January 10, 2017
Deadline: January 10, 2017
To help us meet our commitment to diversity, we have established the Davis Wright Tremaine 1L Diversity Scholarship Program. We offer a total of six scholarships in the following offices: Los Angeles (1-Real Estate Focus), New York (2), Portland (1) Seattle (1), and Washington, D.C. (1). These consist of a paid Summer Associate position and $10,000 for the student’s second year tuition and expenses.
The Diversity Scholarships are open to all first-year law students of color, or others of diverse backgrounds, who:
Have a record of academic achievement in both undergraduate school and the first year of law school that demonstrates promise for a successful career in law
Are committed to civic involvement that promotes diversity and will continue that commitment upon entering the legal profession
Are committed to practicing in the Pacific Northwest after law school
Although demonstrated need may be taken into account, applicants need not disclose their financial circumstances.
Our online application site is open from December 1, 2016 through January 10, 2017. Per NALP guidelines, we are unable to interview first-year law students prior to December 1. Application materials required:
- Current resume
- Cover letter (indicate which office you are applying for and your connection to the Pacific Northwest for Seattle and Portland applications) *If you are an out-of-area applicant and you will be in town during the application window, please indicate those dates in your cover letter.
- One-page personal statement. We want to learn more about you, so this is a good time to tell us part of your life story. Some suggestions (but not mandated topics) might include: How did you get here? What have you overcome? What is it about diversity that drives you? How might you contribute to our community in the future? What would you like us to know about you that is not in your resume?
- Copy of your complete undergraduate transcript
- Copy of your grades from the first semester of law school (if grades are not available at the time you apply, please be sure to mention it in your cover letter.) Send us your law school transcript via email as soon as it becomes available.
- Legal writing sample un-edited by a third party (5-10 pages long)
- List of two or three references, one of whom should be a person qualified to comment on your law school work
Award: Paid summer clerkship and $10,000 for the student’s second-year tuition and expenses.