Davis Wright Tremaine – 1L Diversity Scholarship Program
Application Period: December 1, 2017 through January 9, 2018
Deadline: January 9, 2018
Our 1L Diversity Scholarship Program is one significant way to help us advance diversity in the legal profession. We offer six scholarships in the following offices: Los Angeles (1), New York (2), Portland (1), Seattle (1), and Washington, D.C. (1). As a 1L Diversity Scholarship recipient, you will receive a paid position in our Summer Associate Program and $10,000 for your second year tuition and expenses.
The Diversity Scholarships are open to all first-year law students of color, or others of diverse backgrounds, who:
- A record of academic achievement in undergraduate school and the first year of law school that demonstrates promise for a successful career in law
- A commitment to civil involvement that promotes diversity and will continue that commitment upon entering the legal profession
- A commitment to practicing law in the Pacific Northwest after law school (For the Seattle and Portland offices only)
Although demonstrated need may be taken into account, applicants need not disclose their financial circumstances.
Our online application site is open from December 1, 2017 until midnight on January 9, 2018 PST. Per NALP guidelines, we are unable to interview first-year law students prior to December 1. Application materials required:
- Current resume
- Cover letter (indicate which office you are applying for and your connection to the Pacific Northwest for Seattle and Portland applications)
- One-page personal statement: indicating your eligibility for the scholarship and if you are applying to the Seattle or Portland office, then your connection to the Pacific Northwest. (If you are an out-of-area applicant and you will be in town during the application window, please indicate those dates in your statement or cover letter.)
- Copy of your complete undergraduate transcript
- Copy of your grades from the first semester of law school (if grades are not available at the time you apply, please supplement your application as soon as possible via email by attaching your first semester law grades and send to Brook Dormaier for the Seattle office or Hiroko Peraza for the Portland office)
- Legal writing sample un-edited by a third party
- List of two or three references, one of whom should be a person qualified to comment on your law school work
Award: Paid position in our Summer Associate Program and $10,000 for your second year tuition and expenses.