Best Best & Krieger LLP First Year Law Student Diversity Fellowship/Scholarship Program
Application Period: December 14, 2018 - February 1, 2019
Deadline: February 1, 2019
Best Best & Krieger LLP is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, promoting and retaining attorneys and staff of diverse backgrounds. The value of diversity for our clients comes from the melding of differing experiences, cultures, talents, viewpoints and styles to drive creative and innovative solutions. Our diversity allows us to leverage different perspectives to approach complex legal issues in a way that provides the best outcome for our clients.
With these goals in mind, BB&K is pleased to offer our First Year Law Student Diversity Fellowship/Scholarship Program. This Program will provide the recipient with a paid summer associate position in our participating offices: Los Angeles, CA or Riverside, CA. To qualify for the $7,500 scholarship, the recipient student must be invited and must return to BB&K the following summer. The $7,500 scholarship will be paid following completion of the student’s second summer with the firm.
Description. The BB&K First Year Law Student Diversity Fellowship/Scholarship Program is open to all first year law students enrolled and in good standing at an ABA accredited law school. Students with diverse backgrounds who demonstrate the potential to become an outstanding attorney at BB&K are invited to apply. The successful candidate will be selected based on academic, personal and professional achievement.
Fellowship/Scholarship Selection Criteria. The recipient of the BB&K First Year Law Student Diversity Fellowship/Scholarship will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Must be a member of a diverse group (including ethnic, gender, physical disability and/or sexual orientation) and enrolled as a full-time first year law student at the time of application;
- Outstanding undergraduate and law school academic achievement that evidences potential for a successful career in the remaining years of law school and as a practicing attorney;
- Meaningful contribution to the diversity of the law school student body and likelihood to make similar impacts in the legal community upon entering the practice of law;
- A demonstrated commitment to practice law after graduation in the area in which the recipient is based during the 2018 Diversity Fellowship/Scholarship Program;
- To qualify for the $7,500 academic scholarship, the recipient student must be invited by BB&K and must return to the firm for a second year summer program. The $7,500 scholarship will be paid to either the law school or the student following completion of the student’s second summer with BB&K; and
- Student cannot be a recipient of a similar diversity award from another law firm for the same time period.
Application Process. Interviews of select applicants will be conducted during the month of February and a final decision will be made by the end of February.
Interested students must submit the following materials no later than February 1, 2019:
- Completed online application form
- Current resume
- One page personal statement describing how you will contribute to diversity in your community and why you should be considered for this Program
- Law school and undergraduate transcripts
- One legal writing sample that has not been edited by anyone, except the applicant
- Up to two letters of recommendation
- Up to three professional or academic references
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online ONLY via our website at www.bbklaw.com, “Careers”, “Join Our Team”, “Current Openings”.
Interviews of select applicants will be conducted during the month of February, and a final decision will be made by the end of February.