Top 10 Things About UC Davis School of Law
Posted By Kevin R. Johnson, Jul 24, 2009
On July 16, I was the keynote speaker at the Latino Partners and Summer Associates Reception at the San Francisco offices of the international law firm Jones Day. Many prominent attorneys, including UC Davis School of Law alums, and law students "summering" in the Bay Area, were in attendance. The Bar Association of San Francisco sponsored the event.
Arturo González (Morrison & Foerster) and Sergio Garcia (Reed Smith) opened the program. In my remarks, I offered this list of "10 Things You Should Know about UC Davis School of Law."
- UC Davis School of Law, which is housed in Martin Luther King, Jr. Hall, has more Latino law professors than any other University of California law school. Among others, Cruz Reynoso, former Associate Justice of the California Supreme Court, is a member of the law faculty.
- UC Davis School of Law has more Asian American professors than any law school in the United States.
- Year in and year out, UC Davis School of Law has a more diverse student body than any other University of California law school.
- UC Davis School of Law over the last decade has launched, implemented, and expanded the King Hall Outreach Program, which helps prepare socioeconomically disadvantaged and first-generation college students for the competitive law school admissions process.
- UC Davis School of Law has a vibrant La Raza Law Students Association (LRLSA), which is one of the pillars of the entire law school community. Among many other things, LRLSA hosts an annual César Chávez Week of events, commemorating Chávez's life. Last year, the highlight of César Chávez Week was the keynote speech California Supreme Court Justice Carlos Moreno; in the past, students arranged for the United Farm Workers co-founder Dolores Huerta, Senator Gil Cedillo, law professor Gerald López, and many other luminaries to participate.
- UC Davis School of Law has an incredible array-truly second to none-of clinical legal education programs, including the Immigration Law Clinic, Civil Rights Clinic, Prison Law Office, and Family Protection and Legal Assistance Clinic. The clinics represent needy clients before administrative agencies and the trial courts while affording law students invaluable hands-on, practical lawyering experience.
- UC Davis School of Law has an internationally-acclaimed faculty specializing in business and corporate governance, intellectual property, international law (we recently unveiled the California International Law Center at King Hall, constitutional law, evidence, environmental law, immigration, and human rights and social justice.
- UC Davis School of Law provides more attorneys than any other law school to the ranks of California Rural Legal Assistance and California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation, two organizations fighting for the state's rural poor and working people.
- UC Davis School of Law is in the middle of an exciting new building and renovation project, which will culminate in a state-of-the-art facility just yards away from the world-acclaimed Robert and Margrit Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts.
- UC Davis School of Law has a wonderful new member of the faculty. Professor Miguel Méndez, formerly of Stanford, joined the law faculty effective July 1, 2009 and will be teaching Evidence next year.