Giving to UC Davis School of Law provides vital, irreplaceable support to enhance our current academic and student programs, expand educational opportunities, recruit and retain top-notch faculty, students, and staff, provide updated and modernized facilities and teaching methods, and ensure that the most promising students can attend the Law School, regardless of economic status.
A lot has changed since UC Davis School of Law opened its doors 40 years ago. Costs have skyrocketed as noted in the sidebar on this page, public funding has flat-lined, and the very nature of law school education has to evolve to meet new global demands. The School of Law leadership has set a goal to be the best, small public law school in the nation. Private support of UC Davis School of Law and its students, faculty, and programs is critical in making this goal a reality.
With the help of the state, UC Davis, and private funds raised to date, UC Davis School of Law is in the midst of an expansion of King Hall. Immediately upon completion, renovation of the existing structure will begin. Over $2.6 million in private funds still needs to be raised to meet the full scope of the renovation plans. The new building is a critical step for the Law School, enabling us to remain competitive in attracting the best students and faculty, and your gift can help to make it a reality.
When complete, the Expansion and Renovation project will include:
- A new east wing featuring the Kalmanovitz Appellate Courtroom, twin seminar rooms, and a striking entryway and façade befitting a world-class law school. The renovation will add two new reading rooms and 12 new group study spaces to the existing building.
- An updated facility designed to foster collaborative interactions between students, faculty, alumni and the bench and bar, supporting Law School initiatives such as the hosting of oral arguments of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, California Supreme Court, and California Court of Appeal in King Hall
Your support of this project will make a difference today. To learn about how to reserve a paver, classroom or courtroom seat, bench, or room in your name, go to our online giving website.
Investing in Tomorrow's Leaders
Students from UC Davis School of Law continue to make a positive impact in our community, state, and world, not only as students, but as graduates as well. The Law School is committed to helping ensure that the most promising students can attend, regardless of economic status, through increased funding of scholarships.
- In 2008-2009, private support for the law school enabled a total of 26 privately funded scholarships, providing direct aid to 35 students.
- Fifty percent of the King Hall Annual Fund goes directly to support students, with a substantial portion paid out in scholarships and awards.
- Scholarships, which are awarded to top students both at admissions and upon completion of the first year of study, help King Hall attract and retain the best and the brightest law students, playing a critical role in maintaining our standing as one of the nation's top law schools.
Your support for scholarships helps fulfill the dreams of students who energize King Hall through their leadership, intellect, and character. Many of these students would not be able to afford a legal education without your help. As fees have risen and state funding has become increasingly uncertain, private support is needed to provide scholarships that reward academic excellence, promote diversity, and help to keep the Law School accessible. You can help support our future leaders by creating and supporting scholarships.
Fostering Unparalleled Teaching and Research
Our outstanding faculty, recently ranked as one of the most diverse law faculties in the country by Princeton Review, is dedicated to providing UC Davis Law students with the best in legal education. In just 40 years, King Hall has risen to national and international prominence on the strength of the cutting-edge legal scholarship of our outstanding faculty and the excellence of our students. In 2009, the California International Law Center at King Hall (CILC) was launched, building on the tradition of international law scholarship at UC Davis as a result of private support. As part of a partnership between CILC and the Robert F. Kennedy for Justice and Human Rights, King Hall students are currently at work on a report that will help outline a framework for peace in Darfur.
- King Hall students perform community service and hone practical legal skills in the UC Davis School of Law Civil Rights Clinic, Family Protection and Legal Assistance Clinic, Immigration Law Clinic, and Prison Law Clinic, providing representation for those in need while gaining invaluable experience.
Support of endowed chairs, professorships, and law school programs help to attract and retain exceptional teachers, researchers, and scholars. Read more about about the academics and clinical programs. You can give to programs through our secure online giving page.
Continuing Our Momentum
The King Hall Annual Fund promotes excellence at King Hall through the support of student organizations, journals, library services, facilities, technology enhancements, interactions with alumni, scholarships, and expanded academic programs.
Over the past academic year, gifts to the King Hall Annual Fund and direct program contributions supported:
- More than 40 student organizations such as funding for the UC Davis School of Law Humanitarian Aid Legal Organization (HALO) in its trip to provide legal aid to the poor and homeless in East St. Louis.
- The annual fund also supported UC Davis Law Review Symposium exploring the career of U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, which brought nationally and internationally recognized legal experts from academia, journalism, and law practice, many of whom had clerked for Justice Stevens, to King Hall for an analysis of his work in an event that was broadcast nationally on the C-SPAN network. Fifty percent of the King Hall Annual Fund goes directly to support students, with a substantial portion paid out in scholarships and awards.
These projects would not have been possible without the support of donors to the King Hall Annual Fund. By making a contribution to the Law School Annual Fund, you can assist in every aspect of life at the Law School. The greatest day-to-day impacts are those made with the King Hall Annual Fund. Make an online gift to the Annual Fund today!